Had a very gloomy start of November this year as my aunt got this pulmonary disease due to smoking. Although, I know there is more to it than just that, my aunt is a street cleaner here in Cebu preferably the Mandaue City area. She was having cough for several days already and that she also acquired fever and several chills by night time. I was really afraid that she got infected with rabies since she was bitten by her pet kitten the time she took bath of her.
I don’t know how I can celebrate the Halloween with my aunt in the hospital.
She collapsed the morning she was sent to Vicente Sotto. And her mouth was bubbling. (nagbuwa)
My sister then called me up and said the sad news. -that my Mama Cora was admitted.
Based on the symptoms, I can really tell that she is having that disease called COPD or better known as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
What is COPD?
Smoking in itself is really a SILENT KILLER!
Last year, my Tatay also got the dreadful disease and it complicated with his heart as well. He was admitted at the same hospital and boy! the experience made him surrender to it!
Emergency Ward at Vicente Sotto is not the safe haven you would want to get treated, mind you.
Worst comes to worst in this place. =(
Main risk factors for COPD
My tatay also worked as a carpenter before which exposed him to severe dusts and irritants. =(
The experience was heart breaking for us – our family, financially and emotionally!
Thankfully, my Tatay stopped this smoking addiction and has gotten back to the good old times of his physique. He has gained much (enough) weight!
As of this writing, Mama Cora will be going home soon and will wait for her LAB results for us to check on the medicines recommended by the Doctor as an OPD.
Gracina Estrella – Cabanog is a Digital Marketing and Growth Strategist for Businesses. She is a mother of two and a wife to a tech geek. When she is offline she cooks, watch TV and hangs out with friends and family on the beach. Join her free Facebook Community of Social Media Marketing Learners, too! She is the founder of the startup SparkHiveMedia.com